Friday 25 July 2008

Windows 2008 (Standard) strange disk recommendation

Windows 2008 Server (Standard) has a system volume disk space recommendation of 12745Mb.

This value is not the same as any online documentation I have read. I disovered this obscure value as I was setting up some servers for my POC lab and setting the system volume as 12Gb (12288Mb) by default. Windows give me some friendly advice that it recommends it should be at least 12754Mb, it did let me carry on and install it.

Interestingly Microsoft's online documentation actually recommends 40Gb or more disk space, with a minimum requirement of 10Gb. What are they going to do with 40Gb of disk space? (Apart from make the Server Core footprint look comparatively small?).
Microsoft Windows 2008 requirements link

No comments: