Tuesday 29 July 2008

Windows 2008 Hibernation

Why on earth would anyone want the ability to hibernate their server? It seems that Windows 2008 server (Standard, Enterprise and Core) all have hibernation enabled by default. I found this strange setting out when trying to figure out where all my system volume disk space was being utilised and came across Hiberfil.sys in the root of the system volume.

Of course this file is a hidden system file, so the easiest way to see it is to open a CMD prompt and enter Dir C:\ /A:SH

Now when I say Hibernation is enabled – it is not enabled in any of my Power Options in the control panel. If I select the currently selected power plan and navigate to the options to change the advanced settings the Hibernate After setting is disabled (as is Sleep after). It seems the only way to safely get rid of this large file (assuming you do not want to hibernate your servers?!) is to run the following command

Powercfg /Hibernate off

No comments: