Wednesday 30 July 2008

Microsoft Provisioning Services, Locales

I am currently setting up the Microsoft Provisioning Services(MPS)components as part of the HMC4.5 installation for my Hosted Exchange POC. When attempting to assign some of the core MPS components to a server I received the following error message - The server xxxxx either does not exist, is offline or fails one or more prerequisite checks. Do you want to assign the server anyway? Now is that a cover-all error message or what!? When I click on details I found a much more explanatory reason, but a very frustrating one too

Exception: Microsoft.Provisioning.DeploymentTool.Engine.ServerPrerequisiteException
Message: Default server locale is 2057, should be one of: 1033


It turns out that Microsoft have only tested the MPS on the English (United States) locale only and therefore that is the only locale that I can install MPS onto! So after ensuring I had installed every locale configuration as English (United Kingdom) for my MPS servers, I now have to change them all back. Joy.

Side note - when you have changed all the locales on your servers to English (United States) you will need to close the Provisioning Deployment Tool and open it again. For some reason it still seemed to think the servers had the wrong default until the application was restarted.

5 comments:

Nathan Storms said...

I ran into the same problem here in Canada, when using the deployment tool within my existing datacenter infrastructure. I created a support case with Microsoft.

Anonymous said...

I am being told that the only way to be supported in hosting excahnge is if you use HMC.

But I do not see anything about actually "Installing" HMC.

We are currently setup using Address List Segregation, so I am trying to figure out what steps I need to take to get to HMC. Any help, or pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Brian Gibson said...

Hi there,
Here is the link
http://www.microsoft.com/hosting/solutions/hostedmessaging.mspx.

I assume you are setting up a multi-tenancy hosted Exchange platform? You will need to use HMC4.5 to be able to use SPLA for your licensing, licensing it any other way would be too costly I expect.

Anonymous said...

Yes. We currently do use SPLA, but after a recent support incident I was toled that Seggregated address lists is not longer the recommended/supported hosting method in 2007 (which is how we are currently hosting).

Now I am trying to figure out if there is a way to retroactivley go to HMC, or if I am going to have to build up a whole new environment and migrate the customers (not a pleasant thought).

Anonymous said...

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb125053(EXCHG.65).aspx