Friday 8 August 2008

HMC 4.5, Install and Configure the OOF Agent

Whilst installing HMC 4.5 I have now reached the Install and Configure the OOF Agent section. There are some minor details that upset my installation. After some searching of the internet I have realised there is literally no resource or documentation on the web about these components, so I have decided to blog todays findings. (Try entering CategorizerOverrideAgent into Google - I only got one website returned; Technet)

In the section when you install the CategorizerOverrideAgent.msi from the Service Provisioning\MPS\Install folder the instructions state that this should be installed in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\TransportRoles\Agents\CategorizerOverrideAgent directory. By default my installation always reverted back to Program Files (x86) not the Program Files folder. I tried to change this several times with no success. It turns out this is not an issue though.

During the steps of installing the categorizer agent via the Exchange Management Shell the steps are not quite in the correct order and some syntax is missing. Rather than just running the switch -AssemblyPath CategorizerOverrideAgent.dll you need to pass it the full path to the dll as the Exchange Management Shell does not know the location of CategorizerOverrideAgent.dll.

In my environment I was not able to run the Enable-TransportAgent CategorizerOverrideAgent cmdlet whilst the MSExchangeTransport service was stopped (as the instructions suggested). I had to start the MSExchangeTransport service, enable the CategorizerOverrideAgent and then restart the service.

Running Get-TransportAgent at the end showed that despite all these annoyances the Categorizer Agent is now installed and enabled on my Hub Transport server.

1 comment:

slipsec said...

Running into the same thing, I'm submitting this as a bug to MS. Thanks for the workaround!